On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Bjarte Stien Karlsen <
bjarte.stien.karl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello lifted,
>
> Today i created Sermo [1] as the title says a persistent comet based
> chat example.
>
> I copied code from demo.liftweb.net/chat and modified to support
>  - user's firstname + lastname is the username in the chat
>  - messages are persisted in the message table and loaded when the
> chat server starts up.
>  - chat is added as a page that requires user login
>
> I plan to use this example as a demo in a upcomming talk about lift.
> The reason I wanted a example that is a little bit more complex then
> the 50 line comet example is to show some more of lifts features.
>
> Comments and suggestions are very welcome.

I had the honor to show Lift off to Phillip Wadler last year.  I did the
chat example and he asked "How would you persist the chats?"  The code I
came up with was surprisingly similar to your code.

The only suggestion that I would have is to PreCache the Message.user fields
to get better start-up performance.

Git some: http://github.com/dpp