I believe I ran into this before, to fix it I came up with this:

package
scala.actors

object ActorTimerKiller
{

  def kill
{

Actor.timer.cancel

and then in my Boot.scala:

LiftRules.unloadHooks.append(() => {
  ActorTimerKiller.kill
}

I also have Actor.clearSelf in my unloadHooks, but I can't remember if that
was for this issue or another, since I use Actors in my code, not just
CometActors.

Oh wait, rereading your post, it looks like this is something that doesn't
involve redeploying during development, which was where I was running into
this problem. This post probably wont help you then... but I'll post it
anyways.

--
Derek Williams