On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Ike <ikes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 11:44 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Ike <ikes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> >
> > > I've seen in a couple of posts here that I can just update the
> > > corresponding dependencies in the POM and get the updated libraries. I
> > > did this for both the Lift libs (1.0 -> 1.0.2) and the Scala lib
> > > (2.7.5 -> 2.7.6).
> >
> > Lift (1.1-X and 1.0.1/1.0.2) is compiled against Scala 2.7.5  This is the
> > version you should be using.
> >
> > Do not upgrade to 2.7.6  2.7.6 is a broken release.
>
> Got it. Thanks David.
>
> What about the upgrade process itself? Is editing the POM the
> recommended way? What would be the proper way to verify the proper
> versions/combinations to use in the future?
>
> Any plans in the works for upgrading existing projects and keeping the
> lift/scala libs in sync?

We do keep the Lift and scala libs in sync.  However, 2.7.6 is a release
that should never have happened and Lift will not compile under 2.7.6 (see
my prior email about broken existential types.)

In general, when EPFL starts publishing stable nightly builds of a release
of Scala, we work with the ScalaTest, ScalaCheck and Specs folks to get
SNAPSHOT versions of their libraries compiling against the new version of
Scala.  Then we start a branch (git is wonderful) that compiles against the
new version of Scala.  I run my development in parallel with both branches
(the Lift-based projects that I'm part of) to make sure that the code passes
basic smoke tests.

We typically wait 2 weeks after EPFL blesses a final release before
switching Lift over to that release.  Why?  EPFL usually finds a few bugs in
a given release of Scala and issues a dot dot release to patch the problem
within 2 weeks of a release.

So, that's the Lift policy.  We will have to figure out if we're going to do
a 1.0.3 release for Scala 2.8.  We're planning to release Lift 1.1 a few
weeks after 2.8 goes live (which I'm expecting to be in late November-early
January sometime.)

> It would be great if we could do something
> like mvn upgrade 1.0.2 or mvn upgrade current to take care of this, at
> least for minor upgrades.

Maybe a Maven maven on the list will describe if that's possible.

Git some: http://github.com/dpp