I was able to get things working and am now fairly confident that I
have enough power on my front end to completely melt my database.   I
think the real benefits will be failover and the ability to stage
releases.

Btw, as far as I can tell, apache proxy_balancer is the only open
source choice for load balancing with sticky sessions. Is anyone aware
of other options?  I would much rather be using nginx.  I'm aware that
there's a third party module for session stickyness, but not sure if
it's at a usable stage: http://code.google.com/p/nginx-upstream-jvm-route/

I'm actually not sure what the problem was with the config below,
though the duplicate "ProxyPass / balancer://cluster/" was probably
not helping

- Jon