JBoss includes its own JTA libs, so you need to set the scope to exclude the
other ones or else they'll conflict. Generally with any JEE container you
would need to do that, since JTA is part of the spec. What exactly do you
mean by "the objects are created, but none of the properties are saved"? Is
an insert occurring but no fields are saved? If it's transaction related
it's almost always a binary outcome (works/doesn't work), not something in
between, although I've seen enough oddities to know that there are always
exceptions :P

Derek