I've added code (it's in review board right now) that will automatically
farm any snippet with the "do:lazy='true'" attribute set.

So, <lift:foo/> will execute the foo snippet inline.

<lift:foo do:lazy="true"/> will execute the foo snippet in parallel and join
the result back to page before its rendered.

This should allow for the use case of going out to ad servers, etc. in
parallel.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM, espeed <james.thorn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 21, 5:30 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Threads are used in Scala actors, but only while processing a message
> (actor
> > jobs are allocated to threads in a thread pool).  In the case of asking
> your
> > external ad server for information, Scala Actors are not going to help
> you
> > because they have not been integrated with the JVM's NIO library (NIO ~=
> > Unix I/O Select)  Erlang's actor scheduler is IO aware, Scala's is not.
>
> Googling for "Scala actors NIO" turned up a recent paper by Matthias
> Schmidt at Sun. There is a section on combing the Scala actor model
> with NIO...
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/schmidtm/entry/high_performance_tcp_ip_programming
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/schmidtm/resource/nio-whitepaper/High-Performance-TCPIP-JVM.edit.Final.Formatted.pdf
>
> I also found this from the upcoming O'Reilly book "Programming Scala,"
> by Dean Wampler and Alex Payne...
>
> Chapter 9. Robust, Scalable Concurrency with Actors
> http://programming-scala.labs.oreilly.com/ch09.html
>
> "The open-source Naggati library adds a Scala-friendly layer atop MINA
> that, according to its author, “makes it easy to build protocol
> filters [using a] sequential style”. Essentially, Naggati is a DSL for
> parsing network protocols, with MINA’s powerful NIO abilities under
> the hood."
>
> - James

Surf the harmonics