On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Naftoli Gugenheim <naftoli...@gmail.com>wrote:

> What do you mean by "as a normal snippet"?

The parallel snippet processing is implemented deep inside LiftSession.
It's not a snippet.  All the <lift:xxx/> tags, even those with defaults
built into Lift, are implemented as snippets and are invoked with normal
snippet invocation mechanisms.

> That you will nest your snippet inside a special snippet?

There is no special snippet.  I used the word "normal" to highlight that
it's functionality that doesn't require a change to LiftSession or other
parts of Lift to function correctly.

> To me it seems worthwhile to have a consistency between the two
> syntax-wise, since they have some common denominator semantics-wise.
> Actually, maybe throw in eager_eval to the mix. Maybe we could have one
> eval or lift:eval or liftx:eval or whatever attribute, which can contain a
> space separated list of specifiers--eager, ajax, parellel.

Anything that's prefixed with lift: is a snippet.  I'm open to unifying
eager_eval and do:lazy (or do:par or do:parallel) into a unified namespace.

> -------------------------------------
> David Pollak<feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Naftoli Gugenheim <naftoli...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>

> > A snippet attribute can be invoked with something other than
> > lift:snippet="Class.method"? There's a short syntax? What is it?
> >

> There may be a short syntax (e.g., lift:Class.method) in the future.
>

> > What was used for the feature that inserts a snippet asynchronously via
> > Ajax?
> >

> That feature isn't done yet, but that feature is likely to be done as a
> normal snippet.
>

> > My concern is that as more features are thought up and added they
> shouldn't
> > all end up with different prefixes.
> > Also, if the prefix is nothing special I would go with the more verbose
> > "parallel" because otherwise it's not obvious what it does. If it's
> prefixed
> > with "lift:" at least you know it's a lift tag and you can look it up
> > somewhere or ask on the list etc. But if you come back to some old
> template
> > that says "do:par" you may be left clueless.
> >

> > -------------------------------------
> > David Pollak<feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Naftoli Gugenheim <naftoli...@gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >

> > > Could that be changed to lift:concurrent or lift:par etc. (see email on
> > > scala-user from Marting Odersky mentioned the future use of 'seq' and
> > 'par'
> > > in concurrent collections)?
> > > Why use a different prefix than everything else built in to lift? And
> > > 'lazy' is arguably not what's happening.
> > >

> > We're using a different prefix because if we use a lift:xxx prefix, the
> > snippet execution machinery will be invoked on the attribute and we don't
> > want that.
> >
> > I'm cool with do:par unless anyone has a better suggestion.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David
> >

> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > > -------------------------------------
> > > Jeppe Nejsum Madsen<je...@ingolfs.dk> wrote:

> > automatically

> and
> > > join
> > >
> > > Very nice! In what context is the snippet executed? I assume that
> > > all timeout handling, errors etc should be handled by the snippet just
> > > as in the non-lazy fashion?
> > >
> > > /Jeppe
> > >

> > --
> > Lift, the simply functional web framework http://liftweb.net