Just an update ...

I did manage to get maven to pull down 1.1-M5, not sure what was up
with it before, but it worked in the morning.
I couldn't resolve the class MappedOneToMany, or Owned, even though I
can see them in the lift-mapper-1.1-M5.jar . Used the import import
net.liftweb.mapper._

Oh well, I got around it in a horrible way by in effect serializing
the list of objects I wanted to save as XML and storing them in a
MappedText field. It works, but its grim.

Thanks for your help though everyone, the support on this list is
great, and lift is a breath of fresh air.

Cheers,
Ben