It has been debated many times in slightly different contexts. To me
it is more about clarity. We add a new prefix now, tomorrow add
another one and so on. People would have to remember what goes where
and  mix things up. To me lift prefix is enough and quite clear. It is
more than just s snippet thingy. It tells the user "hey this thing is
telling the framework something and the framework is doing something
with it". It is separating framework xml markup from the actual xhtml
markup. Having a single reserved prefix promotes clarity and keeps
things simple and rather intuitive.

I'm not in favor of using unprefixed attributes like
par="something" (btw I really don't like par naming :) ...) because
unprefixed attributes should be only standard xhtml ones or the ones
that user explicitly specifies it. So lift:parallel="true" or
lift:async="true" should be just fine.

Br's,
Marius