Well, I am only a beginner myself but here are my 2 cents:

- My guess is that they are declared as inner objects to make it
possible to reach certain global field properties through the
companion MetaMapper object.
- As far as I know traits cannot be directly instantiated, only
extended or mixed in.

Dirk Louwers