Ryan,

The PayPal stuff is pretty much my baby - its awesome that your using
it in production!

See what your saying - its been a while since I did anything with
PayPal; what fields *are* returned when the transaction is canceled?
Or, specifically, the question is what behaviour do you need?

Lets start there and then I can work on a solution - it was my
understanding that all responses from paypal had the payment_status
field; im using the reference here: http://is.gd/43po4 can you detail
the type of transaction you've been seeing this behaviour on?

Cheers, Tim