on which step does this happen when you are following the tutorial?

I just tried it on my laptop.
mvn archetype:generate -U \
-DarchetypeGroupId=net.liftweb \
-DarchetypeArtifactId=lift-archetype-basic \
-DarchetypeVersion=1.0 \
-DremoteRepositories=http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases \
-DgroupId=com.liftworkshop \
-DartifactId=todo \
-Dversion=0.1-SNAPSHOT

this creates the todo directory correctly

I then "cd todo"

and run "mvn jetty:run", it started correctly. It reports the database
create table
was successful.

Did you get this far while following the tutorial?