Take my input or vote of confidence with a grain of salt...
 I had to use java.util.Calendar recently and noticed some of the
issues with it that you mention.  For my case, I created a light
wrapper for my use of java.util.Calendar that redefined the relevant
statics (Monday, Tuesday, etc) as Scala "enumerations" and then
provided some implicit conversions to go from DayOfWeek.Monday to
java.util.Calendar.Monday.  My hope is that client code never knows
that they are using java.util.Calendar and that they will also get
some level of type-safety by using my wrapper.

In summary, I do not like the design of java.util.Calendar because of
its inconsistencies and think that creating a more consistent way of
doing things is a "good thing."