Derek Chen-Becker <dchenbec...@gmail.com> writes:

> That's pretty much my take. The whole Java Calendar/Date/Timezone impl is
> poorly designed, hence Joda Time.

>  Now I've run into another wall, this time with the TimeSpanBuilder. I can't
> mask the implicits from long/int to TimeSpanBuilder, so I can't define the
> same DSL for things like "3 seconds", etc. I tried to provide an implicit
> conversion from TimeSpan to JodaSpan but that won't cover all of the cases
> and this is feeling increasingly ugly as I add more and more layers and
> implicit defs to work around the old API.

I haven't looked very closely at the current code, so don't really know
what the issues are..... but this won't stop me from commenting. I'm
really looking forward to get rid of Calendar and friends....

> At this point, the only way that this may work is if I create and entirely
> new JodaHelpers object that extends all of the Helpers traits, replacing
> TimeHelpers with my new JodaTimeHelpers trait. This may be the path of least
> pain, but it means two cycles of deprecation: one to deprecate the current
> TimeHelpers in favor of JodaTimeHelpers, and the second to deprecate
> JodaTimeHelpers back to a refactored/reworked TimeHelpers. Does this sound
> like a reasonable approach, or is this getting too crazy?

Depending on the cycle-length, this doesn't sound too bad. But if it is
1.3 before we get pure JodaTime, this sounds excessive. Lift 1.1 already
has numerous breaking changes so if a cycle is just a milestone release
then I think it's fine.

>  The other option I thought of is to make a new branch just for this and
> just track master with the branch. The big downside is that this doubles the
> release work to have a Joda Lift and non-Joda Lift.

Doesn't sound like a viable approach. We'll be carrying this baggage
forever (unless this was only a temp solution?)

/Jeppe