I agree with this.
My understanding is that the goal is that Lift should use Joda for its time
functions rather than java.util. If the Joda methods have different and longer
names, then it's existing side by side with the java.util implementation, not
replacing it.
To many people, it is important that methods etc. should be named properly and
aesthetically. It's not pleasant to use names like "jtNow" in your code when
that is the method that gets used normally. Sure, if 'now' was the usual method
and a 'jtNow' method was called in special circumstances, it's an
understandable name. But names that are used in ordinary circumstances should
have straightforward names.
(Names should be concise expressions of what they represent. This aids in
memorization and code readability.)
Also, it will be impossible to deprecate the java.util implementation and have
a clean API instead. If we use separate traits with the same method names, then
we will be able to.

-------------------------------------
Derek Chen-Becker<dchenbec...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:59 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> What I checked in allows you to use JodaTime just as easily (well with 2
> extra characters in a few method names) as java.util.Date.  How is anything
> more "default" than that?

My primary concern with this approach is that it makes changing between the
two implementations something that requires a global search and replace on
one or more method names, whereas having two different implementation traits
means that generally I should be able to just change the import and the code
will work. A secondary (minor) concern is that having method names reflect
the underlying implementation details goes against my aesthetics.

> It's an interesting difference between an OO vs. non-OO.  In the
> implementation I created, there choice of one or the other is made based on
> singleton methods invoked.  This allows mixing both in the same code simply
> by invoking now or jtNow.

I would argue that it's not a common case where you would want to use both
libraries, particularly when Joda's DateTime has an explicit toDate on it
that returns a java.util.Date. There are similar methods to return Calendar
and TimeZone instances as needed. These are simple methods to use directly,
or it's easy to create a view that handles this automatically.

I'm unclear why this is not possible.  We can add a DSL for manipulating
> JodaTime without breaking anything we have.  The TimeSpan class simply gets
> enhanced to deal with additional stuff and maybe uses JodaTime under the
> covers.

The underpinning of the current DSL is the TimeSpan class. Joda Time already
has a time interval class corresponding to TimeSpan called Duration, but the
more proper class to use is actually Period. Period is premised not on ms
duration but rather on field deltas, which allows it to properly handle DST.
Modifying the current DSL to work for Duration and Period via TimeSpan is
just going to end up with a lot of redundant code, when a Joda-only DSL
would be cleaner and more in line with how you would want to use Joda Time.

> They have that now with the implementation I did on your branch.

Like I said before, I have a strong preference for the OO approach and being
able to change impls by changing the import rather than having to change
methods all over the place. If you really feel strongly that we can't have a
separate trait in Lift, I can just create a different artifact in my own
repo that tracks Lift and create the JodaHelpers, JodaTimeFormats and
JodaTimeHelpers traits there.

Cheers,

Derek