i believe that one of the best ways to learn a new programming
language is to read software written in it

when reading Scala code, I rarely say "i don't understand how that
works" and when I do, there's usually a good explanation of it
somewhere on the web.

usually I find myself asking "where is that defined?" or "what part of
the language is that?"

Scala is not like, for example, BASIC, where you can look up FOR, IF/
THEN/ELSE. there's lots of individual and compound punctuation marks
that are very difficult to search for online and in PDFs (try
searching for "!").

a lot of scala also relies on syntactic sugar, such as omitted types
(no ": T" after a val/var/def); the dreaded underbar; operator
overloading; and implicit conversions. you can hate on Java's
verbosity (i know i have), but brevity has its own difficulties.