Sure, I could create a trait as you suggested...  But, this sounds
like a common problem -- does this not already exist?  I see
discussions about adding it to Scala, but I don't think it exists.
And Lift already has a logging infrastructure (i.e. LogBoot as you
suggest).  Does it not make sense to add this trait to lift-util or
lift-common?  (I just want to avoid recreating the wheel.)