I'm not familiar with how Lift handles strings but if the encoding conversion
is what's missing, check out the Java String class, look for work encoding
or charset in java doc. Basically you can create a String with a specified
encoding and use getBytes() to convert it to a different encoding.

You can also try setting charset in your page to UTF-8. Maybe this is
the default in Lift.