seriously, if you're suggesting that since function/method names don't
have to have any relationship to the algorithm therein, so using
punctuation should be fine, then why not just use single letters,
followed by an optional digit, and be done.

`When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone,
`it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'