there are several advantages.

1: you get to leverage type safety and the excellent XML support
of Scala, and lift-json.

2: assuming it's not a "open for all" public REST server, you'd have to
deal with security/auth. Lift will help here.

3: In the past, every time I've done a backend REST server project,
soon or later, you end up going "you know, I wish I can throw together
a couple of simple backend admin pages". Lift makes that easy.