David,

(This is a copy of an earlier reply to your Migration Guide post. I
didn't get any response there, so I'm listing it on this
thread since it seems somewhat related to the current discussion)

I attempted to follow your blog piece and rewrite the code in
Integrating Flex, BlazeDS, and Scala/Lift, at http://flexonrails.net/?p=103.

Maybe I'm being a bit ambitious to redo this, but when I run just the
Lift portion (without Flex/BazeDS) and make a call to my LiftActor
implementation, nothing happens. Shouldn't the
messageHandler be called automatically (There is nothing to "start",
is there?). It doesn't when I trace through the code. What am I doing
wrong?

Here's my rewrite of Notifier using LiftActor:

class Notifier extends LiftActor{

  val msgBroker = MessageBroker.getMessageBroker(null)
  val clientID = UUIDUtils.createUUID()
  val msg = new AsyncMessage()
  var notificationsSent = 0;

  val currentTime =  new Date().getTime();

  protected def messageHandler = {
    case Notify =>{
      msg.setDestination("notifications")
      msg.setClientId(clientID)
      msg.setTimestamp(currentTime)
      msg.setBody(new Notification(notificationsSent, "Hello from
Scala/Lift", new Date()))
      msgBroker.routeMessageToService(msg,null)
      notificationsSent = 1

     }

     LAPinger.schedule(this, Notify, 500L)

case object Notify

class Notification(var id: Int, var message: String, var timesent:
Date){
    def getId = id
    def setId(id: Int) = this.id = id
    def getMessage = message
    def setMessage(m: String) = message = m
    def getTimesent = timesent
    def setTimesent(t: Date) = timesent = t

}

I also have an XMLApiHelper with:

 def dispatch: LiftRules.DispatchPF = {
        case Req("webservices" :: c :: Nil, "", GetRequest)=> () =>
start_feed(c:String)

and start_feed simply calls new Notifiier().

Given this code, the URL: http://localhost:8080/webservices/Notify
successfully calls into
start_feed and creates Notifier but the messageHandler isn't called.

Any help is appreciated?

Thanks,

Glenn