What do you want to happen if you call "value" on an Empty?

-------------------------------------
Ferdinand Chan<unique...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wondering what's the normal practice of using a Box. As a Java
developer, I always want to get the boxed value by a method named
"Value" like

val optionalContent = Full("This is optional")

Log.info( " The optional content is " + optionalContent.value)

But I know its not a valid way to do so in lift ( same for Option in
Scala)

>From the book programming in Scala , there's an example

val withDefault: Option[Int] => Int = {
case Some(x) => x
case None => 0
}

which suggest the use of match to retrieve the value of the boxed
content. It make sense to me and I'm totally agree with the advantage
of using match + option (Box) combination.

However, as a newbie to Scala, I'm so tempted to use something
like .Value to retrieve the box value .

So, what's the normal way to use Box ?? Could someone kindly provide
some example on how to use ? I tried to look through some source code
of Lift but its not easy for a newbie :)

Thanks