Newbie Lift / JPA alert!

I am sure I am doing something dumb here, but I can't quite figure it
out. I have a JPA project (modelled after the lift JPA demo app).

I have an object with a one-to-many association, and I want to eager
fetch the collection.  It is declared like :

 @OneToMany(){ val targetEntity = classOf[OpenIdUser], val cascade =
Array(CascadeType.ALL), val fetch=FetchType.EAGER}
  var openIds : _root_.java.util.Set[OpenIdUser] = new
_root_.java.util.HashSet[OpenIdUser]()

In my spa persistence unit, eager fetching works fine from the unit
test. The unit test uses plain old emf factory instances.

However, from my web application (run with jetty:run) and  using
Model.createNamedQuery, or Model.find, only the parent object is
fetched. The collection is not.

I gather this has something to do with the way that Model works? Or
are my annotations being ignored when they are packed in a .jar file?

Clues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Warren