David,

I was able to put together a simplified application to demo the
problem.
It's just a basic lift archetype with a Role.scala added to the mapper
package that
contains all the relevant code.

Here is the link to the application:

http://github.com/glennSilverman/treeview

If you run it as-is, you can add new roles to the db but you can't
edit them.

Glenn