Heiko,

In the meantime, I found that solution as well...   I tried it, and
the default seems to
be a "work" directory in "target".  I guess I can set another value
for the attribute
if I manage to convince jetty to do that for me.   What I forgot to
mention is that
the directory is to contain images that are to be served by jetty...
So it means
the directory should be logically under webapp, but not in the war (of
course).

If I use a link from inside the war to some regular file system
location, I'll
probably run into the same problem as before.  Any idea how to do
this?

Job H.