On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Indrajit Raychaudhuri <indraj...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On 01/12/09 10:58 AM, David Pollak wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM, Ross Mellgren <dri...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:dri...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     It looks like they work to me. I'm using this:
> >
>  > ...
>  > <snip/>
>  > ...
> >
> >     I note you're using archetype:create? The wiki says
> >     archetype:generate; I don't know what archetype:create does, though
> >     it looks like an old (and deprecated) name for archetype:generate.
> >

> > archetype:create was working up through last week.  There were no
> > **BREAKING CHANGES** notifications.  archetype:generate forces me to
> > answer questions (the whole point of having a script is so I can type
> > the script name and have it work.)
> >
> > Sorry for being grumpy about this, but I don't like things
> > changing/breaking without some form of warning.
>
> Mea maxima culpa! This should have occurred to me that although
> deprecated, somebody still might have been using archetype:create.
>
> The jpa related archetypes had moved to the new archetype format quite
> sometime back. That made me assume the usage of archetype:generate
> pretty much 'given'. In hindsight, I think that was a bad assumption!

Except when I sent around the call for getting the JPA stuff tested, my
example was with create and it failed in exactly the same way as the new
stuff failed.

Sorry for continuing to be grumpy about this, but I should not have to be a
maven guru to use Lift.  There are a couple of simple maven commands I need
to know and if those commands change, I should at the very least get a
polite message telling me what has changed.  If I woke up and "mvn clean
jetty:run" had somehow morphed into something else, I'd like to know.

I look forward to the breaking changes note.  I look forward to making sure
that we keep Lift easy to use by providing our user base with simple and
understandable migrations when things change.

> [...]
> >>             -DremoteRepositories=http://scala-tools.org/repo-snapshots\
> >>             -DgroupId=$1 -DartifactId=$2
> >>

> >>         d...@sevenof9:~/tmp$ new_lift com.liftcode imagine
> >>         [INFO] Scanning for projects...
> >>         [INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
> >>         [INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from
> central
> >>         [INFO] org.codehaus.mojo: checking for updates from central
> >>         [INFO] artifact
> >>         org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin: checking for
> >>         updates from central
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         [INFO] Building Maven Default Project
> >>         [INFO]    task-segment: [archetype:create] (aggregator-style)
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         [INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class =>
> >>         'org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
> >>         [INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
> >>         [INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
> >>         [INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound =>
> 'false'.
> >>         [INFO] [archetype:create {execution: default-cli}]
> >>         [WARNING] This goal is deprecated. Please use mvn
> >>         archetype:generate instead
> >>         [INFO] Defaulting package to group ID: com.liftcode
> >>         [INFO] We are using command line specified remote
> >>         repositories: http://scala-tools.org/repo-snapshots
> >>         [INFO] snapshot net.liftweb:lift-archetype-basic:1.1-SNAPSHOT:
> >>         checking for updates from id0
> >>         Downloading:
> >>
> http://scala-tools.org/repo-snapshots/net/liftweb/lift-archetype-basic/1.1-SNAPSHOT/lift-archetype-basic-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         [INFO] Using following parameters for creating OldArchetype:
> >>         lift-archetype-basic:1.1-SNAPSHOT
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         [INFO] Parameter: groupId, Value: com.liftcode
> >>         [INFO] Parameter: packageName, Value: com.liftcode
> >>         [INFO] Parameter: package, Value: com.liftcode
> >>         [INFO] Parameter: artifactId, Value: imagine
> >>         [INFO] Parameter: basedir, Value: /home/dpp/tmp
> >>         [INFO] Parameter: version, Value: 1.0-SNAPSHOT
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         [INFO] Error creating from archetype
> >>
> >>         Embedded error: The META-INF/maven/archetype.xml descriptor
> >>         cannot be found.
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         [INFO] For more information, run Maven with the -e switch
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         [INFO] Total time: 5 seconds
> >>         [INFO] Finished at: Mon Nov 30 19:48:19 PST 2009
> >>         [INFO] Final Memory: 16M/170M
> >>         [INFO]

> >>         d...@sevenof9:~/tmp$
> >>

> >>     We are supposed to be stabilizing the archetypes and making sure
> >>     they are tested as part of the build process.  It is absolutely
> >>     unacceptable (can I be any more blunt than this?) that the
> >>     archetypes do not work.
> >>
> >>     Whoever broke them, please do whatever you have to do to get them

Surf the harmonics