Checkout my code, especially parts with "cssClass".

        import net.liftweb.http.S._
        import net.liftweb.http.SHtml._

        // input can be SHtml.text
        def formField(label: String, input: Elem): NodeSeq = {
                val fixedLabel = label match {
                        case "" => ""
                        case s: String => s + ":"
                }

                val id = (input \ "@id").toString
                val messageList = messagesById(id)(errors)
                val hasMessages = messageList.size > 0
                val cssClass = if (hasMessages) "ErrorField" else ""
                val messages = messageList match {
                        case list: List[NodeSeq] if hasMessages => {
                        }
                        case _ => Nil
                }

top; width: 10em;">