Have you taken a look a SBT?  It's well suited to Lift projects and allows you
to manage dependencies from maven repos or with a full path to download
location:
http://code.google.com/p/simple-build-tool/wiki/LibraryManagement#Inline_Declarations

http://code.google.com/p/simple-build-tool/wiki/WebApplicationExample

This also looks interesting: http://github.com/Yasushi/sbt-appengine-plugin