IMHO this doesn't sound like an ideal way to do this. At a high level what
are you trying to do? Is this a legacy DB or starting from scratch? If I had
to do something like this I would instead use something like
MappedLongForeignKey so that you have a direct reference to the other tables
instead of having to do it manually. Something like:

class C extends LongKeyedMapper[C] with IdPK {
  def getSingleton = C

  object refA extends MappedLongForeignKey(this,A)
  object refB extends MappedLongForeignKey(this,B)

  def getRef = refA.obj or refB.obj

  def setRef(obj : A) = refA(obj); refB(Empty)
  def setRef(obj : B) = refB(obj); refA(Empty)
}

Derek