Yeah the dependencies section of Jetty is pretty nifty. I had this
same problem using Tibco messaging tibrvj.jar in my war causing jetty
fail when reloading an application. In the case of Tibco I had to
still keep it as a regular dependency with <scope>provided</scope> so
that I could compile but I was able to entirely remove derby as
project dependency. Of course when I start writing some unit tests
I'll probably have to add it back with <scope>test</scope> but I'm
more interested in getting deeper into Lift framework, which as been a
fun journey so far. =)

Not sure if I should put something in the issue manager or not. I
would be more than happy to put in an issue and submit a patch.

Cheers!