I snipped some stuff.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM, David Pollak <
feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Heiko Seeberger <
> heiko.seeber...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/12/13 Kris Nuttycombe <kris.nuttyco...@gmail.com>
>> 5) Avoid using abbreviations
>>

> I disagree.  When coding with a non-IDE, abbreviations make life much
> easier.

I agree with David, abbreviations are better.  When I'm trying to get
something out of my head and into code, I don't want things getting in my
way.  2 things in this scenario get in my way.  1) autocomplete is slow 2)
typing is slow.

Here's something else to think about on this issue.  A good typist, familiar
with their material can type faster then most code completions can operate.
In studying data entry folks at UofP, I noticed something about the
auto-complete functionality that wasn't obvious to me before.  It's not how
fast the code complete pops up that slow you down.  It's the mental shift
from typing to reading that takes the most time.  You always have to verify
that what the auto-complete is going to use is correct.  This almost always
takes more time then typing it yourself (assuming an expert typist).

>>> In general, the principle goal of this effort must be improving the
>>> clarity of the Lift API for both new adopters and for maintainers.
>>

>> 100% agreed!
>>
>> In order to make Lift even more popular it is essential to ease adoption.
>> Often folks require better documentation and we all know that the code (the
>> API) is the first and best source of documentation.
>>
>> Heiko
>>
>> My job: weiglewilczek.com
>> My blog: heikoseeberger.name
>> Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
>> OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
>> Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net
>>
>> --

> Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
> Surf the harmonics

James A Barrows