It's been said ;-)

At work, I wrote our SOAP integration because as much pain as SOAP is,
it's less pain that SOAP + SOAP library, especially Axis (at least at
the time, when Axis2 was not out). To this day the only place we use a
SOAP library (Axis1, in a client) is broken due to bugs in the SOAP
library.

By simple integration, I mean just throwing <soap-env:Envelope> and
<soap-env:Body> around whatever message XML and then using simple
xpath-esque expressions to rip it back out.

JAX-WS is somewhat nicer, it's unfortunate that the licensing seems to
be preventing it, although I'm interested how you'd tackle the
marshalling -- using JAXB as usual? I haven't used JAXB with Scala,
only with Java, so I don't know how well they play together.

-Ross