Hi Marius, I was trying to find a way to give a custom 404 response
without changing the url (e.g. using a redirect) and returning a 404
status code.

Before I found a solution, I found an almost solution which let me use
a sitemap menu to display a page when no other page matched but the
status code was still 200, so I posted this question to find out if I
could change it to 404.

I found another solution, here:
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/4a9806a63419644f