Alternately, setting the properties maven.compiler.source and
maven.compiler.target (via -D) or via the <properties> section in
pom.xml eradicates the necessity to configure maven-compiler-plugin.

So you could do:
"mvn -Dmaven.compiler.source=1.5 -Dmaven.compiler.target=1.5 package"
or do the needful via <properties> section in pom.xml (see top level
pom.xml in Lift)

Cheers, Indrajit