On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Alex Black <a...@alexblack.ca> wrote:

> I'm intrigued by the Nginx, could you tell us more about what the
> advantages of using Nginx as well as Jetty instead of Jetty?

You can have more than one domain per IP address served by different
applications with Nginx up front.  You can swap from one instance of an
application to another (semi-seamless upgrades) with Nginx up front.  You
can front many different Lift instances (some running on other machines)
with Nginx up front (there are some high volume Lift sites that do this).

> thx
>
> - Alex
>
> On Nov 11 2008, 3:49 pm, "David Pollak"
> <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've been deploying a fair number of apps using Jetty and
> > Nginx<http://sysoev.ru/en/>and been very pleased with the results.
> > I've put together a package to make
> > it wicked simple for you to do the same.
> >
> > To run one or more Nginx front-end/Jetty backend, do the following:
> >
> >    - download the Jetty container from
> >    http://tunaforcats.com/deploy_jetty.tgz
> >    - tar -xzvf deploy_jetty
> >    - cd deploy_jetty
> >    - echo 9920 > base_port # this defines the base port that Jetty will
> run
> >    at.  Production = base, preview = base + 1, dev = base + 2
> >    - copy your Lift app WAR file to webapps/root.war
> >    - Edit your nginx.conf file and add:
> >        server {
> >            listen       80;
> >            server_name  www.myapp.commyapp.com;
> >
> >            access_log  logs/myapp.access.log main;
> >
> >            location / {
> >                proxy_passhttp://127.0.0.1:9920;
> >             proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
> >             proxy_read_timeout 700;
> >             proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
> >             proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
> >            }
> >        }
> >
> >        server {
> >            listen       80;
> >            server_name preview.myapp.com;
> >
> >            access_log  logs/preview_myapp.access.log main;
> >
> >            location / {
> >                proxy_passhttp://127.0.0.1:9921;
> >             proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
> >             proxy_read_timeout 700;
> >             proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
> >             proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
> >            }
> >        }
> >
> >        server {
> >            listen       80;
> >            server_name dev.myapp.com;
> >
> >            access_log  logs/dev_myapp.access.log main;
> >
> >            location / {
> >                proxy_passhttp://127.0.0.1:9922;
> >             proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
> >             proxy_read_timeout 700;
> >             proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
> >             proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
> >            }
> >        }
> >    - Reload/restart Nginx
> >    - Start your production Jetty instance: start_prod.sh
> >
> > You should see very, very good performance with Lift's long polling, even
> at
> > a high load.
> >
> > Questions?
> >
> > Thanks,