Arguably, the primary key is a special case of my problem.

I have an object.  I populate some fields.  Upon persistence, some
fields (like the primary key) is populated.  In my particular example,
the field is populated due to a Default rule, but it could just as
well be a Trigger.

Fortunately, JDBC does provide a mechanism to provide the PK ID upon
an insert (if you use it, and your JDBC driver and Database server
supports it).  This mechanism avoids a subsequent select after an
insert.

I thought that I could work around my particular problem by declaring
the field nullable (in Scala, yet leave it "not null" in the
database)...  How do I do that?