On 12/02/10 2:36 PM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen wrote:
David Pollak<feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>  writes:

Jeppe&  Co.,

I've been thinking about the logging changes.

(would have been nice with this before I went and updated all the
archetypes&  examples...oh well :-)

How about a different approach?  How about a new logging system in common
that takes the best of the existing logging system plus a bunch of
enhancements?

+1 for me for sure.

A few points to consider:

1) How will the end result be better (ie. when everything deprecated is
gone, what are the improvements). What are the enhancements you have in
mind? Can they be made to the existing code?

The reason for me is to remove dependency on lift-util for using logging. Also, pulling up logging in lift-common allows all other modules in Lift to freely use logging. I was even tempted to consider suggesting lift-logging sometime back but that appeared too marginal to be considered a full fledged module.

2) The amount of work involved. I think we'll have to go through Lift
and change all logging references to the new code in order not to
include two logging systems for people using the new code. But this
could be made as part of #310 I guess.

We can possibly take the same approach as LRU. +1 on making it part of #310.

3) Transition. I think the transition phase will be more difficult: We can't
remove the log4j dependency from Lift, so people wanting something else
will have to use exclusions in their poms.

Ouch!

We can deprecate the stuff in util, but not phase it out for a while.

What do you think?

I prefer a clean cut, but understand if this is too much.

Let's deprecate instead. Can be removed post 2.0 :)

Just to summarize the changes that has been made in

http://github.com/dpp/liftweb/tree/jnm_issue_309

1) People will need to modify their code: 1 line in Boot, 1 dependency
in pom. See examples in the branch for details.

2) Lift will refuse to boot if 1) has not been done.

I've got some time this weekend (wife and kids out of town :-) and would
love to finish this, but this requires a decision soon. I'll be hacking
Lift later today (8pm CET), so we can discuss further.

/Jeppe