It does normally, but not for CSS resources. I just did a quick google and I
found one page that said it will send a HEAD for a cached CSS but only when the
browser session is restarted. I know that at my work we've had to do the
filename hack because nothing else works with IE6.

And IE6 may be dying out to some degree, but it's still popular enough (and
particularly in certain industries) that it has to be supported for many
companies :-/

-Ross