including something at compile-time and not test time is a rare thing for
maven, which assumes tests also need dependencies used to compile.  Of all
the scopes you can specify for dependencies *all* of them end up on the
testing classpath.  (see
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html
)

I would recommend droping one of your requirements, or giving us some more
information on exactly the nature of the problem, so we can better assist
your maven usage!

- Josh Suereth

ANyway, what you want to do is exclude the dependency