mortench <morte...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,

[...]

> How suited would Lift be for this scenario or to be more precise:
> a) Is a lift web app as fast to startup as a normal jave jsp/servlet
> app ?

Depends mostly on your own code. If you have an empty Boot, startup is <
1s.

> b) Can lift be used without a database and can the relate code such as
> the OR mapped be omitted ?

Yes

> c) Any special considerations needed when starting and stopping an
> embedded lift web app ?

Dunno :-)

> d) What does lift require of the java web server ? I.e. can some of
> the more lightweight java web servers be used that might not support
> the full servlet/jsp specifications such as the embedded HTTP server
> in Java 6, Winstone, Grizzly etc.? ... What (light) java webservers
> are lift known to work with ?

You need a recent servlet implementation. JSP is not needed. I'm using
Jetty although not embedded, but Jetty seems like it should easily be
embedded. During development, I launch a small Scala app that starts
jetty (the RunWebApp class generated by the Lift archetype)

> e) What would the best way for the lift web app to communicate with
> the backend code of the java app ? By just calling into the existing
> java code (some integration/classloader issues here?) or more loosely
> by calling REST WS Api exposed by the Java code ?

Not sure what you envision here, but REST and loosely coupled should
work :-)

> f) I am using ANT and not maven to develop the java app. Will be able
> to make Lift work with ANT so I use the same build tool for
> everything?

Yes, but you're probably on your own

> g) What version of lift should I use ? In particular does Lift 2.0
> change anything for my scenario ?

You should use the latest 2.0-SNAPSHOT or milestone (M3 is just around
the corner)

/Jeppe