Just to wrap up, the StatefulSession suggestion, coupled with the
usage of RequestVars in a few place to preserve data across links and
calls to S.redirectTo s did the trick for us.

Session variables are really no different in Lift than in any other
web framework. They are appropriate for data that is either read-only
or generally not volatile, and tends to have the lifespan as the
session itself . A "current user" object is the classic use case IMO.

Our (admittedly self-inflicted) problem was that we we using a
SessionVar to manage a highly transient UI state, basically forcing a
tool that is suited for read-mostly data storage into managing what
was effectively a multi-writer situation (different versions of pages
via the back button, independent browser tabs, etc.), with predictable
results.

Chalk it up to inexperience on our part. Many aspects of Lift's
stateful design are very different from other frameworks; this one is
not!

Sean