>From what I recall, it should work by default by pressing the tab key where
there is a non-space character immediately preceding the cursor.

Could you confirm your default.keymap or user.keymap contains a line such
as the following:

[:editor.keys.normal "tab" :auto-complete]

You can find those files by going to the Commands area (CTRL+Space) and
typing keymap.

If that does not help, could you provide additional information such as
your Light Table version, installed plugins, and the file type you are
attempting to autocomplete on?