I had the same problem which can be easily reproduced this way:
I am logged in on PC A with user “olaf”. Using ssh I log in at PC B with user
“chief” and start x:
olaf@A: ssh chief@B
olaf@A: sudo startx
X-Session really starts up on B which I can see.
Then I press ctrl+c
… connection to x server lost

Now I move over to PC B and want to login with user “chief”.
I can't get passed the login screen.
In /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log I found the following:

[+10.72s] DEBUG: Session pid=1556: Greeter connected version=1.16.7
resettable=false
[+10.91s] DEBUG: Session pid=1556: Greeter start authentication for chief
[+10.91s] DEBUG: Session pid=1609: Started with service 'lightdm', username
'chief'
[+10.92s] DEBUG: Session pid=1609: Got 1 message(s) from PAM
[+10.92s] DEBUG: Session pid=1556: Prompt greeter with 1 message(s)
[+23.13s] DEBUG: Session pid=1556: Greeter start authentication for olaf
[+23.13s] DEBUG: Session pid=1609: Sending SIGTERM
[+23.13s] DEBUG: Session pid=1777: Started with service 'lightdm', username
'olaf'
[+23.13s] DEBUG: Session pid=1609: Terminated with signal 15
[+23.13s] DEBUG: Session: Failed during authentication
[+23.13s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session stopped

It seems that lightdm wants to login with user “olaf” and the password I just
entered (Greeter start authentication for olaf).
Of course this will fail on PC B.

Deleting the file Xauthority in the home of user chief on PC B will allow me to
login again as chief:
chief@B: mv ~/.Xauthority

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of LightDM
Gtk+ Greeter Development Team, which is subscribed to lightdm-gtk-

Title:
  Greeter uses previous session even if it is not available

Status in lightdm-gtk-greeter package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity-greeter package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  I install using preseed files, and clobber a bit of /etc to configure
  ubuntu to be suitable for users to login with network credentials.  I
  use pam to make a home directory when users login with network
  credentials.

  On first boot, logging into the VTs works fine but I cannot log into
  the lightdm dislpay manager.  If I type my username and password
  right, I get a "Failed to start session" message and get bounced back
  to the start of the login process.

  If, however, I click one of the session types, e.g. 'ubuntu' or
  'fluxbox', then I can log in.  (I've tried uninstalling fluxbox, this
  doesn't seem to help).  At which point I can login, which I believe
  works until I reboot the machine.  (I will test this shortly).

  If I install the lightdm-gtk-greeter package then I do not encounter
  this bug.  Instead, I am automatically logged into the alphabetically
  first session type (at least, if I've got fluxbox available vs. either
  ubuntu or xfce, that seems to be what I get, if only ubuntu is install
  I get an ubunut session by default so I assume the preference is
  alphabetical).

  It does not seem to matter if I specify a
  user-session=something
  (I have also tried not setting user-session at all)

  in lightdm.conf (well, I haven't tried it with the gtk-greeter, but it
  doesn't matter with the unity greeter).

  I've tried all of the other lightdm-greeter packages, and lightdm-
  greeter-gtk is the only one that does not suffer from this bug.

  the most relvant message in the logs I can find is:

  DEBUG: Seat: Failed to find session configuration true
  Seat: Can't find session 'true'

  What I would expect to happen is to get some default session; getting
  the alphabetically first session is kind-of/sort-of reasonable.  Total
  failure is not.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 14.04
  Package: lightdm 1.10.0-0ubuntu3
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: openafs
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu Apr 24 22:08:08 2014
  LightdmConfig:
   [SeatDefaults]
   user-session=true
   greeter-hide-users=true
   greeter-allow-guest=false
   session-setup-script=/bin/sh -l /etc/profile
  SourcePackage: lightdm