Unbelievable

Since this bug was originally released:

14.04 has had 4 mayor updates, 14.04.1, 14.04.2, 14.04.3, 14.04.4, soon
to be .5, 16.04 has been released (soon to be 16.04.1) and this bug is
still there.

It is BASIC issues like these that give Linux distros a bad
name/reputation, locking the screen is such a basic piece of
functionality that it is mind boggling that for a start this is even an
issue, without getting into the fact that years have gone by and
officially nothing have been done about it other than 2 years later
recognize it as a bug.

:-(

Let's hope this bug gets fixed solely by the inertia of upstream,
because if we have to wait for Canonical we'll die of old age.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of LightDM
Gtk+ Greeter Development Team, which is subscribed to lightdm-gtk-

Title:
  lightdm sessions started by dm-tool lock (or a session locker) never
  get closed

Status in Light Display Manager:
  New
Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in lightdm-gtk-greeter package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in upstart package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  dm-tool lock starts a new lightdm greeter (for unlocking) and a new
  logind session. After unlocking the greeter disappears, but the logind
  session never closes. loginctl session status c24 reports something
  like:

  c24 - lightdm (103)
             Since: Thu 2014-05-22 18:38:27 CEST; 30min ago
            Leader: 7872
              Seat: seat0; vc8
           Display: :1
           Service: lightdm-greeter; type x11; class greeter
             State: closing
            CGroup: systemd:/user/103.user/c24.session
                    └─7907 init --user --startup-event indicator-services-start

  This results in an accumulation of stale lightdm sessions after using
  e.g. a session locker for a while.

  I get this issue on a freshly installed and fully updated Xubuntu
  14.04.