If there are censorship concerns, you could opt for a set-up where payer
has an authenticated connection to a trusted server, through the
Internet connection provided by payee. The trusted server can, for
instance, be a full Lightning node running at the payer's home.

The payer then only has to take a very light piece of electronics with
him/her. It will still be larger than a credit card (since
authentication should be done payer-side, e.g. with a PIN code), but it
can be smaller than a smart phone. Personally, I like this kind of
set-up, because I see cell phones as a huge privacy issue (you're
continuously transmitting your rough location to the network).

Why would there need to be a direct channel between payer and payee? We
have the Lightning network to avoid needing direct channels, right?

CJP