Hi Tyler,
Hi Robert,

first of all, welcome to the mailing list, always good to have more
people looking and improving the spec. I quickly read through the spec
and it is very well written, and it looks good.

On a conceptual level, I do however have some issues with the
proposal. I don't think that the kind of selective attachment to the
node of a merchant is beneficial to neither the node that is opening the
channel, nor for the network as a whole:

 - For the node opening a channel at the time of a payment is too late,
   it basically means that for the first payment you'd have to wait for
   an on-chain confirmation, even if we use `push_msat` to perform the
   initial payment. This is bad for the user experience. Channels should
   be opened ahead of time so that, when the customer enters a shop,
   everything is already set up. Special cases are always hard to
   communicate ("you have to wait, but only this time, then in future
   all will be nice and quick")
 - It also causes all future payments to go through that merchant, which
   can now collate your shopping activity with all of your other
   payments, and create a profile. It's basically the hub-and-spoke
   threat with the added problem of the hub also knowing your identity.
 - The merchant can cripple future payments that he might suspect are
   going to a competitor (Starbucks may attempt to block payments for
   amounts that look like coffee payments and go to their
   competitor). Think net neutrality for Lightning.
 - For the network as a whole this creates a network of large hubs that
   are only weakly interconnected, or not connected at all, unless the
   merchants are "generous" enough to maintain connections among each
   other.

But it's not all bad, I really like the possibility to look up a
merchant's node ID through DNS, so that my wallet can check (indirect)
connectivity to that node and try to optimize their connectivity.

I think we should encourage people, and implement the clients, to open
random connections, biased towards strenghtening the overall
connectivity. With the gossip protocol we already disseminate enough
information to allow nodes to identify bottlenecks and provide
additional capacity to bridge them.

Sorry for being so pessimistic, but I think it's important we move away
from people attempting to open targeted channels directly to the
merchants. I still regret publishing the IP address of SLEEPYARK.

Regards,
Christian