hello, I'm a curious lurker trying to follow this conversation:

On Thu, 10 May 2018, 2:40 pm ZmnSCPxj via Lightning-dev, <
lightning-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> The concern however is that the CLTV already partly leaks the distance
> from the payee, whereas the reputation-loss-rate leaks distance from the
> payer.  It is often not interesting to know that some entity is getting
> paid, but it probably far more interesting to know WHO paid WHO, so leaking
> both distances simultaneously is more than twice as worse as leaking just
> one distance.

Consider an asymetrically-resourced malevolent node that wants the ability
to harm a specific small nodes without aquiring a bad reputation (and is
willing to pay for it). In preparation, this bad boss node directs normal
traffic to sacrificial nodes they control, while understating the
reputation-risk (truthfully as it turns out, because they have out of band
influence over the node). When the time comes, the sacrificial node
inflicts delay on the victim node and they both suffer, while the boss
keeps her nose clean.

Is it the case that understating risk of legitimate traffic from boss node
to sacrificial node effectively allows transfer of reputation to the
sacrificial node in preparation for attack, while at the same time
obscuring their association?

Chris Gough