Dmytro Piatkivskyi <dmytro.piatkivs...@ntnu.no> writes:

> Dear list, pardon me that I haven't investigated the Lightning
> implementations in depth yet, but one discussion has made me wonder how you
> approach the below described situation.
>
> Rene was talking about virtual channels in his article [1]. His motivation
> was that a company running multiple nodes has to open channels between its
> own nodes in order to transact between them.

Rene CC'd.

The issue with virtual channels is that we rely on proving that funding
transactions exist as a simple spam-prevention mechanism.  However,
that's just for gossip messages which advertize a public channel.

Two things to note:

1.  You can advertize anything you want in BOLT-11 `r` fields; this is
    the correct place for virtual channels, or private channels.  We
    might also allow some kind of local channel advertisements in the
    future.

2.  The advertisement of existence of a channel doesn't require its use.
    If you have a trust relationship you can just say "please send this"
    etc.

Hope that helps!
Rusty.