Very good point.

Two possible responses come to mind.

1. Cross-asset brokers charge a standard option premium to perform the
brokerage. I can't tell if you think this is totally broken or if it's just
sad. I don't understand lightning well enough to figure that out on my own -
could you expand more on what effects this would have?

2. Cross-asset brokers require counterparties to issue them a symmetric but
slightly more out-of-the-money call, which they can redeem in the event of a
large FX swing. This bounds their FX losses.

Will