Good morning Rusty,

> > Hi all,
> > I recently revisited the eltoo paper and noticed some things related
> > watchtowers that might affect channel construction.
> > Due to NOINPUT, any update transaction can spend from any other, so
> > in theory the tower only needs the most recent update txn to resolve
> > any dispute.
> > In order to spend, however, the tower must also produce a witness
> > script which when hashed matches the witness program of the input. To
> > ensure settlement txns can only spend from exactly one update txn,
> > each update txn uses unique keys for the settlement clause, meaning
> > that each state has a unique witness program.
>
> I didn't think this was the design. The update transaction can spend
> any prior, with a fixed script, due to NOINPUT.
>
> The settlement transaction does not use NOINPUT, and thus can only
> spend the matching update.

My understanding is that this is not logically possible?
The update transaction has no fixed txid until it commits to a particular
output-to-be-spent, which is either the funding/kickoff txout, or a
lower-`nLockTime` update transaction output.
Thus a settlement transaction *must* use `NOINPUT` as well, as it has no txid
it can spend, if it is constrained to spend a particular update transaction.

Unless I misunderstand how update transactions work, or what settlement
transactions are.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj